Monday 7 March 2011

What difference does wearing black actually make?

by Laura McAdam

I get asked this a lot. People love the idea and then you see the thought seep into their mind, but what good will wearing black on Thursdays actually do?

I guess that people have different reasons and hopes when they take on this kind of ritual. Here are a mine:

Sadly, I know that I need a visible, tangible reminder of all that my eyes have been opened to. Every Thursday, after finding clothes each of complimentary blacks (you'd be amazed how many shades there are...) I remind myself that I'm privileged to have such a choice. As I catch myself in the mirror which prompts me to think how much black washes me out, I'm reminded of the safe and healthy world I live in. Ok, so wearing black isn't the biggest sacrifice nor a painful choice, but it is a nudge in the right direction for me.

When I was in India and heard about this movement, predominantly in the southern hemisphere, I was moved to join with people around the world who quietly, peacefully stand for justice and equality. And when I hear of people who take part in South Africa, Scotland, Sierra Leone and many other places I see the bright side of our globalised world. Furthermore, when you tell a woman in Uganda or Jerusalem that there's a load of people who choose to take a weekly action to remember their cause and stand alongside them, and you see the tears in their eyes as they realise they are not alone... well. Trust me, it makes it mean something.

Finally, it's about the principle. I'm not the most intelligent writer, nor have I individually got much political clout, I don't have enough money to improve the lives of half the world's population and I'm not going to get a chance to do a speaking tour around the world to change hearts and minds any time soon... But add my voice, my pennies and the simple fact of 'knowing' to the tens of thousands of others who give a damn and look, we have a stirring. We have a movement of people who have decided that the way the world works isn't fair and that they must do something, however basic. Occasionally this simple action prompts more and we have some peaceful activitism occurring. And peaceful activism has some form, dontchaknow...

So yes, I'm sure everyone has different reasons and hopes when they do something like this. But this International Women's Day, if I could quietly ask you to do something?

Catch yourself in the mirror. Consider that you're part of something global, and do what you can to stand in solidarity with those fighting for peace and justice. Even if it's just something simple.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this Laura! I'm still choosing black on Thursdays... and still asking the same question as I do it. It's definitely making a difference to me, and that's a start. It reminds me to pray for women without the privilege of choice too... and that has real potential to make a difference for others. And while I'm asking whether it makes a difference or not, other people are asking me... and I guess that might make a difference too. So I'll stick with it. Thank you for inspiring me to give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete